Monday, December 12, 2011

Grief, beautifully told.

As I read, A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, I was drawn back to one of my last conversations with my father. I so wish I had had this book then.

The book tells the tale of Conor, and the very real monster he is dealing with. The book is beautiful, with a unique structure. The pictures of the Yew tree monster are incredible, and the narrative is simply beautiful. This book will haunt you. It will make you laugh, make you cry and leave you awestruck.

Grief is the dominant theme, but forgiving yourself (and others) is a close second.
My favorite line of all is, "Stories are the wildest things of all," the monster mumbled. "Stories chase and bite and hunt."

There are three tales interwoven in the novel, that take off in unexpected, but ultimately wonderful ways.

I am sure this book will win numerous awards, but don't read it only for that reason. If you have lost someone close to you, this book can be a welcome salvo.

If you enjoy traveling through the lens of a novel, and are hungry for a unique voice, read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment