Tuesday, September 10, 2024

A bit bland for a thriller

What We'll Burn LastWhat We'll Burn Last by Heather Chavez
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Perhaps aspects of this plot were too similar to the book, Things Don't Break on Their Own (Which I rated 4 stars), but this just didn't work for me.

There were few likable or even believable characters. There were plot holes as well in terms of the investigation (or lack of at the time of the disappearances).

The story dragged a bit and even the fire chapters weren't as intense as I felt they would have been.

I did think Leyna was an ok character as was Dom, but I didn't completely love them. The others were just kind of blandly awful.

However, I didn't stop reading since I wanted to find out what exactly happened. The resolution was just ok. It was obvious from the start who Ellie was, and I wanted to see how that all played out.

Beverage pairing: Hmmm, perhaps a nice cold Pinot Grigio in case the mild fire scenes feel sweltering.

No comments:

Post a Comment