Sunday, July 14, 2013

Class is over, summer reading has commenced.

I finished my class on Tuesday, and am starting to go through a physical pile of books, interspersed with a list on my Kindle.
The first one I read was The Kill Room by Jeffrey Deaver. This is one of his Lincoln Rhyme novels, and brings back the Deaver I have known and loved. Some of his works in recent years have just been so so.

The plot is quite timely (whistle blowing and Drone killings), the main characters remain true to themselves, and the criminal players are quiet interesting. While one character seems a bit over the top, to be head of a NSA type of agency, it still seemed kind of plausible that he was in charge.

The questions raised throughout the novel are thought provoking, and actually are sticking with me. If you enjoy thrillers, political novels, and keep up with our current issues, I am sure you too will enjoy, The Kill Room

The other book I read is a non-fiction one called, Unlearning Liberty: Campus Censorship and The End of American Debate by Greg Lukianoff. Truly interesting, thought provoking and maddening. I have learned a great deal about college life since my sons entered their respective schools. One main issue has been how very different things are in innumerable ways since I attended college. Many of these differences are addressed in this book. Prior to sending your child to college, you should read the college student handbook and read this book. In addition, tell your child if they are ever brought before a student or administrative hearing, they do need to tell you..you should be there for them, regardless of what the college says.

2 comments:

  1. What's your recommendation for lazy summer, on the beach, paperback, non-thought provoking reading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the book I have loved, and told a number of people to read, is the first of a young adult series...but enjoyed by adults too.

    It is Cinder, by Marissa Meyer. It is in paperback now. Let me know if you do end up reading it :-).

    ReplyDelete