Sunday, March 3, 2024

Bland thriller

The Weekend RetreatThe Weekend Retreat by Tara Laskowski
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

It started off nicely, but the build up and character development were stilted. I got confused between Harper's husband and brother so at one point thought some sort of incest was involved (it wasn't, it was merely my confusion because the characters lacked definition)

I knew right away who "The Party Guest" was, so that was rather disappointing, while not knowing the why until later in the book. While the why had merit, the execution by the party guest was rather stupid. They could have easily developed a legal case rather than the ridiculous method they chose. Other characters had equally weak reasons for their choices.

Basically, it isn't the typical reunion at an isolated place with bad weather coming story. It was a bland version of that trope with weak plot and characterization.

I did finish it, and thus rated it a 2

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment