Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Summer Reading #'s 18 and 19


This is pretty much a must read. I thought I knew all there was to know about the internment camps, but I was wrong.  I learned so much from this graphic novel.  It tells the story of his experiences, but also reveals so much about decisions that were made by families, individuals, supreme court justices and the FDR administration.  Various views regarding documents that needed to be signed, and how to handle living in these camps, are presented..thought provoking in many cases.

It is also so relevant today, and that is why I think all should read it.  I will be buying a copy (or two) for my classroom library.

The Bridge Home by [Venkatraman, Padma]
This book is the Global Read Aloud pick for middle school students.  It is a beautifully told story, full of hope and heartache.  You will need a tissue box near you, especially as you approach the ending.

I love doing read alouds with my students, and will include this, but I know I will be bawling as I read certain sections.

No comments:

Post a Comment