Saturday, July 27, 2019

Thriller that works (for me) # 16

The Never Game (A Colter Shaw Novel Book 1) by [Deaver, Jeffery]

I might be actually on book 17, as I neglected to mention another thriller that I read.  It was one that was advertised everywhere, and I fell for it.  It apparently was originally a short story, and someone was intrigued by the premise and asked the author to make it a novel. Truly should have stuck to a short story as the plot only extended that far.

Onto this review.  I love Jeffery Deaver, and back when Borders was in existence saw him at author talks.  He was in my mind pretty funny in those; had a dry sardonic manner for the most part back then, and this novel kind of portrays that in the main character.

Colter has a background that is unusual, and slowly revealed at various points in the novel. The main case he is dealing with involves a computer game, and someone putting victims into various scenarios from the game. I enjoyed the false leads, and other characters that are introduced throughout this novel.  I also liked where one character pretty much shows Colter his methods aren't always effective, and he potentially has ruined a friendship as a result.

The book ends with some unresolved aspects, and I am already looking forward to the next in this new series.

No comments:

Post a Comment