Saturday, April 6, 2024

Another Amnesia trope

Listen for the LieListen for the Lie by Amy Tintera
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Another book where the main character isn't sure if she murdered someone or not. An odd trope that has recently gotten more popular, or I have just discovered a few of these recently.

This was a decent one, with plausible suspects including the main character. Her sarcastic humor has helped her a bit as she reluctantly agrees to participate in a cold case podcast (I honestly thought to be a cold case it needed to be longer than 5 years, and not sure why the investigation didn't really seem to occur when it happened. I mean like seriously, that part was not explained at all. Everyone thinks it's her, but no arrest? Okay, maybe, but no explanation, no police reports, in fact Ben the podcaster doesn't ever interview anyone from the police dept)

The setting is a small town in Texas. The only notable thing about this particular small town is that affairs seem to take place constantly. It was actually pretty ridiculous to discover how many people had affairs and who they had them with. This was the main motive for the various red herrings, and I didn't buy it. But who knows, maybe a lot of people have that kind of energy and magnetism to have a ton of partners.

Overall I liked it because it kept me wanting to find out the truth, and the snarky humor helped as well.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment