Saturday, July 20, 2024

The characters kept me reading

Middle of the NightMiddle of the Night by Riley Sager
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This novel moved very slowly, and wasn't a thriller in the sense that I was expecting.

Despite that, I did enjoy it. I liked the characters, and the red herrings were nicely developed.

I enjoyed the resolution however, I find the reason behind what happened to Billy to not be completely believable. I can understand the initial part of what happened completely, but not the following decisions that were made. There's a spoiler below that explains this a bit more.

If Sager is hit or miss with you, and if you are content with a slower moving novel, this one might just meet your 3 star reading needs. There were aspects that made it a 4 for me: the characters and the setting were compelling. The mistakes various people made were believable, and explained well (except for what I mentioned above, which is of course key to the mystery).

I gave it a 3 because it either could have been paced a bit differently, or perhaps it could have been a bit shorter. And, because the decisions made by one character weren't totally believable.

(view spoiler)

Beverage Pairing: Probably a strong cup of coffee for morning reading, but if reading at night it pairs nicely with a merlot.

No comments:

Post a Comment